- 35+ Top Banks That Don’t Use ChexSystems
- West Virginia
West Virginia Banks & Credit Unions That Don't Use ChexSystems
In the event that your financial records show a history with ChexSystems, it is probable that you won't get approval to have a standard checking account. Fortunately, the State of West Virginia offers multiple options to re-enter the traditional banking system. Irrespective of your current history, it is still possible to qualify as long as you seek out the right credit unions and banks.
When applying for a new checking account with any bank, your transactional and credit history with other accounts is likely to be reviewed. ChexSystems reports contain information related to past overdrafts, involuntary closures, and more. This can negatively impact your reputation.
Moreover, ChexSystems is, by design, a consumer-reporting agency that gathers information about issues that account holders have had with checking accounts. Reports typically include fraudulent activity or account misuse that has taken place within the past 5 years.
Similar to the major bureaus for national consumer credit, ChexSystems is designed to collect information related to specific financial activities. Instead of credit history, ChexSystems focuses on the history of checking accounts. Some of the information contained in the average ChexSystems report includes:
- Identity information of the account holder such as their first and last name, past physical addresses, and Social Security numbers.
- Unpaid balances that are below zero including involuntarily closed accounts and overdrafts
- Fraudulent activity that is suspected to have occurred
- Applications or account inquiries for other bank accounts
- Public records
- Unpaid fees
While there are other types of consumer reports which include negative data from the past 7 or more years, ChexSystems attempts to limit these record-keeping activities to only 5 years. Of course, every bank has its own rules with respect to how much time can pass from the onset of a negative incident prior to someone being qualified for a new standard bank account.
One option includes searching for a bank that does not utilize ChexSystems as a method of approval. Instead, they may use alternative monitoring systems like credit reports, EWS, or TeleCheck. Still, they are likely to require government-issued cards to confirm identity.
Another option includes second chance checking. While there may be some restrictions on offered services as well as a mandatory monthly fee, this is an effective strategy for rebuilding your credit history and accessing the features of a standard bank.
The CIT Bank Savings Connect account is the best among banks that don’t use ChexSystems. Unlike many other non-ChexSystems accounts, the CIT Bank Savings Connect is also a high-yield savings account that can help grow your savings much faster than most other banks can.
Features and Benefits:
- Minimum balance requirement: $0
- Monthly maintenance fee: $0
- Monthly ATM charge reimbursements of up to $30
Why is it recommended for you?
Although CIT Bank has a relatively high minimum deposit ($100) to get started, it offers one of the best interest rates among online banks, and has no opening, monthly servicing, online transfer or incoming wire fees.Apply Now
Hancock County Savings Bank initially began as a loan association back in 1899. Over a century later, it continues to serve as a community-centered bank that delivers lucrative deposits and home loans. As a bank that focuses on independent management, Hancock County Savings Bank is another great alternative among the best banks that don’t use ChexSystems in West Virginia.
Hancock County Savings Bank offers three options for their checking accounts:
- Interest Checking Account: The Interest Checking Account offers the interest-generating advantages of a savings account with the simplicity of a checking account. You only need a $25 deposit to open this account, and it comes with limitless checks and transactions.
- Hancock Classic Checking Account: The Classic Checking Account also generates interest, but with the added benefit of zero minimum-balance requirements and zero monthly fees.
- Keep-Your-Money-Free Checking Account: Finally, the Keep-Your-Money-Free Checking Account allows an opening deposit of $10 without any monthly fees.
Hancock County Savings Bank also offers savings accounts in the following formats:
- Statement Savings Account: This account offers daily interest compounding and can be used as loan collateral.
- Money Market Demand Account: This account requires a minimum of $1K initial deposit)
- Premium Money Market Demand Account: This account requires a minimum of $10K as an initial deposit.
- Christmas-Club Account: This account requires a minimum balance of $0.01 to access APY.
- Hancock County Savings Bank offers multiple types of checking and savings accounts.
- Hancock County Savings Bank offers an interstate service area that extends to Ohio and Pennsylvania.
- Hancock County Savings Bank has no minimum balance with their Classic Checking Account.
- Hancock County Savings Bank offers personalized debit-card services.
- Hancock County Savings Bank’s Interest Checking Account charges fees if the balance is below $500.
- Hancock County Savings Bank requires a daily balance of $1K to accrue APY.
- Hancock County Savings Bank operates in only three counties of West Virginia (i.e., Hancock, Brooke, and Ohio).
With 50+ counties present in the Mountain State, Hancock County Savings Bank may not reach a large chunk of the state’s consumers. However, if you reside in one of their three service areas, then you will get access to a diverse variety of checking and savings accounts that all avoid ChexSystems’ data.
Learn more about Hancock County Savings Bank
Rather than ChexSystems, this bank utilizes EWS to allow customers to eventually qualify for a standard bank account. They offer three options for personal checking, including Community Trust Flexible Checking, Unlimited Checking, and CJB 55+ Club Checking. Flexible Checking accounts demand a $100 starting deposit, but there are no monthly maintenance fees or balance requirements. Upfront, you also have the ability to write unlimited checks, get a debit card, and receive the first 20 checks absolutely free.
Find Community Trust Bank locations available in Summersville, Fort Gay, the Huntington area, and Alum Creek amongst several others.
Learn more about Community Trust Bank
United Bank is an established bank in West Virginia, with 200+ service locations and a local rapport that goes back to the 1830s. They offer feature-packed banking solutions for both your checking and savings needs, and if you’re looking for a robust banking solution that will overlook your ChexSystems reports, then United Bank may just be the ideal alternative.
United Bank offers ample options for checking accounts, savings accounts, and investment opportunities, a variety of loans—and even a United Visa Platinum credit card! However, their United Free Checking Account really puts them among the best banks that don’t use ChexSystems in West Virginia.
Their Free Checking Account comes with fast processing, round-the-clock helplines, easy mobile banking, and a personal-finance tool. Your Free Checking Account also comes with a ZellePay extension that makes it super easy to receive, send, or share funds with friends and family members.
United Bank’s Free Checking Account doesn’t require any ChexSystems reports or data from other agencies. They don’t even require a credit report for you to open an account!
New customers only need to meet the following criteria before they can open a free checking account:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess a state identity card (e.g., driver’s license)
- Must provide your Social-Security Number (SSN)
- Must make an opening deposit of $50
Each of their 222 outlets is a full-service location for both new and loyal customers. Therefore, getting a Free Checking Account up and running is both convenient and accessible.
- United Bank requires no credit report.
- United Bank requires no minimum balance.
- United Bank offers multiple locations and outlets to choose from.
- United Bank offers prompt customer service and 24/7 accessibility.
- The user interface of United Bank’s mobile app can be improved.
- United Bank’s savings accounts offer only low-to-medium interest rates.
At first glance, many users may misjudge United Bank as a chain establishment that only serves commercial interests. With operations in multiple states and dozens of cities, one cannot blame customers for this misapprehension.
However, a closer look at their services reveals that they are still a customer-centered bank that offers personalized features for loyal customers. Their United Free Checking Account is a no-nonsense, convenient, and life-saving solution for customers who may be struggling with credit issues and overdrafts. This cements United Bank’s position as one of the best banks that don’t use ChexSystems in West Virginia.
Learn more about United Bank
In accordance with federal law, under the Act of Fair Credit Reporting, ChexSystems is required to provide account holders with a zero-cost copy of their report on an annual basis. You have a right to demand free copies of a report from ChexSystems that resulted in a denial of your application to get a fresh account at any time.
After rejection, the credit union or bank is mandated to provide you with a notice for adverse action, which includes direct contact details for the organization responsible for providing the report.
If you are denied the privilege of a checking account because of your account history, there is still hope. Second-chance checking accounts were created as lower-risk alternatives to build yourself and your credit history back up. However, they typically come with high fees and fail to offer the majority of important features included with standard accounts for checking such as protection from overdrafts.
Another alternative to traditional checking accounts includes prepaid cards. These accounts are able to receive both cash and check deposits. Similar to most low-risk accounts, customers will find that prepaid cards come with their own set of monthly fees, but banks often waive these if you prove to be in possession of consistent direct deposits on the account.
It is always recommended to shop around. If you were rejected for a checking account because of a ChexSystems report with no interest in other options, you can still try to apply for checking accounts at competing credit unions or banks with different requirements to fulfill.
Be on the lookout for inaccuracies in ChexSystems reports as you are liable to file disputes that require investigation.
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Puerto Rico
- South Carolina
- South Dakota